Tuesday 8 October 2013

Let's Make Getting Outdoors and Active Fun for Our Kids Again


"If a school day is six hours then at least two should be set aside for hiking, biking, skiing, skating, sports or whatever it is that kids like to do and can do. Because that’s the secret, and the antidote to all this gym-oriented, heart-rate-monitor-wearing unsuccessful “fitness” blathering. Teaching kids that activity is fun, that being able to do what you want physically is important, and that it matters both individually to long-term qualify of life and collectively as the cause of massive wastes of tax dollars."

When I read that, I was on a treadmill at the gym. I wasn't wearing a hear-rate monitor, but I may have been holding onto the heart rate sensors. And I was in the new Youth Wellness Center of the Westside Recreation Center in Calgary that's restricted to kids aged 13 to 18 from 3:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. I was getting in shape, but I wasn't having fun.

As I looked around, I realized that I was surrounded by the spandex-clad specimens of the near perfect human forms that Gadd talks about in his article. I am not a near perfect human form, and I don't think I ever have been. I generally carry a few extra pounds around the waist. When I recently lost 20 pounds (although the Divorce Stress Diet is effective, I don't recommend it), I realized I was also carrying a few extra pounds all over my body: cheeks, pecs, legs, back, buttox, everywhere.

For me, working out at the gym isn't an end to itself, whether that's weight control or making sure I look good in a bathing suit. It gives me the basic level of fitness I need to enjoy myself hiking, snowshoeing, scrambling, and doing a bunch of other activities in the mountains. It helps me have fun outside of the gym.

Fun. In the end, that's what it's all about. When I coach my sons' soccer teams, I stress fun because I've seen what happens when soccer isn't fun: kids stop playing. When I take my sons hiking and snowshoeing and I lead kids hikes for my outdoor group, I stress fun because I've seen what happens when hiking isn't fun: the kids don't want to come out any more. Worse, they learn that hiking and active living in general aren't fun, which decreases the chances of them growing up into active adults.

As parents, our job is to help our kids grow up into adults that are healthy physically, emotionally, and intellectually. Yet, as Gadd points out, the focus all too often is on the intellectual, which we abdicate to teachers and schools to look after. Physically? That's up to our kids' phys-ed teachers and sports coaches and doctors. Emotionally? When was the last time you asked your kids how they're feeling and why they feel that way?

Getting kids outside on a regular basis, whether it's hiking in the mountains or running around an urban nature park, and just letting them have fun is one of the most powerful ways we can address their physical, emotional and intellectual health. It gets them active and teaches them that being active is fun. The emotional benefits of being in nature are well documented: stress levels decrease while things like self-confidence and self-awareness increase. And it instills in them an intellectual curiosity about the world around them that they don't get sitting in a classroom. 

If you're reading this, you know what I'm doing to get my two sons outside and active. Leave a comment below to let us know what you're doing, and we can share ideas.

 

10 comments:

  1. I'm an absolute believer in outdoor play - organized and not. Nature has a way of improving ones mind, body and sole, in ways that are as inexplicable as they are wonderful. We get outside in many ways, including walking to the bus stop early enough to have some free running around time before rushing off to school. We are members of a kids outdoor club, and we spend time together as a family (immediate and extended family) enjoying many activities (hiking, skiing, geocaching...) outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of getting to the bus stop early so the kids have time to run around. Actually I love all of the ways you get your kids out! I'll have to try geocaching one of these days. The kids did it in a summer camp and loved it.

      Delete
    2. Our kids are 3 and 5(almost), and my Dad got us into it, and often we can get them to go just a little further if there's a geocache up ahead. The only downfall is convincing them that they really do not need a trinket to exchange at all caches. But it is fun.

      Delete
    3. Taught geocaching at my summer camp the last couple of years, my two year old LOVE it. Check the difficulty ratings on the caches if you want a more challenging hike, try one with a higher terrain rating.

      Delete
  2. GREAT post - I was just thinking of all of this recently. Our kids are 2 and 4 and we are outside daily WITH Them because we believe in it that much (And know we are ALL more sane!) I shared it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a 15 month old and one on the way, due in Dec. Our solution? Get rid of you TV. I know it's not desirable for everybody, but it's a fun experiment.

    We recently moved and we never bothered to unpack our TV. My 10 yr old neighbor asked me yesterday, when she found out we had no TV, "What do you guys do all day?" I said, "We play!"

    Pregnancy is tiring and it would be so easy to let my little girl sit and watch PBS or Baby Einsteins or Signing Times or whatever they make for babies these days. But now, instead of switching on the TV, when I need a break we go in the back yard. I sit in the shade and we throw a ball back and forth or just let her wander around and explore the dirt, rocks and cobwebs. I get a break and she's happier all around. Now that it's cooling off in Arizona we take walks too. She's slow, so a perfect walking buddy for a big bellied pregnant woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No TV: these days that qualifies as Extreme Parenting! Your daughter is a lucky girl.

      Delete
  4. Great post, Ken. My goal for now is to help my daughter be comfortable being and playing in the outdoors, and in many weather conditions. I see how grounded she is outside and that's very reassuring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great feeling when you see your child at ease with a sense of place in outdoors. I wish I'd started getting my kids out as early as you have. It's a great gift you're giving her.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...