Tuesday 14 January 2014

Raising Outdoor Kids: Scrapes, scratches, bruises and non-fatal cuts build character



I came across an article today titled Barrier to Active Play: Safety Concerns. The thesis of the article is that one of the biggest barriers to kids playing outside is their parents' fears of kids hurting themselves, being abducted by strangers, or struck by lightening a split second before a meteor falls on them.
If you're a parent, this is nothing new. Let your kids play unattended in your front yard and you run the risk of Social Services taking them away to live in the custody of the state where they'll be safe. Or worse, the neighbors will look at you with their eyes askance. Yet we all know that sheltering our kids from irrational dangers that we know exist only in our heads isn't healthy for them. It robs them of the experiences they need to learn how to identify risks, develop their sense of independence, gain the resilience to keep playing when they scrape a knee, get some exercise...In other words, it robs them of the experiences they need to become the independent, well-adjusted individuals we want them to become.

This isn't something that outdoor parents leave behind in the city when we take our outdoor kids into the wilds and reintroduce them to the food chain. I've seen parents, who themselves take risks with severe consequences in the mountains, berate their child for stepping in a creek or happily hopping across boulders...Be careful! Watch your step! You're going to fall and scrape your knee! See, you fell. I told you to watch your step. Why were you watching me?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not perfect when it comes to letting my boys do something I know has a greater than 50/50 chance of spilling blood. But I've learned the hard way in soooooo many areas of life that we all have to learn our own lessons. And one of the reasons I take my sons to the mountains is so they can learn their own lessons. Unless I think a bone is going to be broken or worse, I usually let things unfold as they were meant to. Just as I learned from every scraped knee, scratched shin, bruised buttock and cut finger from the Rocky Mountains to the West Coast Trail (seriously, I was 12 when I hiked that thing...what were my parents thinking?), my sons are learning how to identify risks and decide to either take them or avoid them.

Sometimes taking the risk works out, and sometimes they leave a little bit of themselves on the trail. Either way, they keep going. They don't let a little pain or a little scratch stop them. And at the end of every hike I can see the independence and confidence they've gained, and how they bring that back to their day-to-day lives in the relative safety of the city.




10 comments:

  1. Great post, Ken! I couldn't have put it better myself. Off to share:o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda! I didn't say anything most of us don't already know, but this post seems to have connected with a number of readers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally great post! People look at me weird when I ton't have a heart attack when my kids fall down. As a newer mother my reaction is to overreact normally, but I'm learning that that just adds to tension to the situation. So a little scraped knee on not just my little boy but as well on my little girl is just fine with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. Sometimes it's hard not to overreact. We've been conditioned to freak out over small stuff like scraped knees, so when it happens my first reaction sometimes is still to go into super-protective-dad mode.

      Delete
  4. Just out walking with my pile of kids today and letting the two years splash in puddles, and slip a little on the ice (yes, they rolled in the puddles, whatever) ellicted surprises and "be careful's" from the neighbours. Kids gotta get dirty, have a few scrapes and learn. That's life.

    I totally agree with this unless it's going to be a major safety issue, then I intervene. I'm watching, waiting, and will comfort and speak to them as necessary, but really, they're fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're kids. Getting dirty, scratched and scraped is in their job description!

      Delete
  5. This is so true! The confidence gained from meeting an outdoor challenge far outweighs a few bumps and scrapes won along the adventure. Sometimes, when my daughter isn't feeling very confident, I remind her of the things she has achieved when we've been outside. Like zip-lining across the canopy of a Costa Rica jungle (age 6) or winter yurt camping in -30 C (this January). This usually brings on a smile and the confidence beams again. The risk is worth the outcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I'm not feeling very confident, sometimes I think back to when I was 12 and hiked the West Coast Trail. I came back scraped and bruised, but that experience helped me cope with some rough times a couple years later. Good on you for giving your daughter the opportunity to build her confidence. If only all kids were so fortunate!

      Delete
  6. Great post! Totally agree with you. It's not always easy to hold back the instinct to intervene, but I have found my oldest daughter prefers to try things out herself, scrapes and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! It can be hard not to "save" my boys sometimes, but it's definitely worth it. Sometimes when they fall down they'll even get back up and say "Pain is weakness leaving the body" in their best SNL Hans and Franz imitation.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...